Tuesday, January 22, 2013

1970s Soul Train Makes Me So Happy

When M wakes me up in the morning, usually with a "People's Elbow" to the face (if you don't know what that is, click here for video) we get Junior up, he's screaming at the top of his lungs for milk, it's some ungodly hour, I don't have my glasses on, so i honestly don't know what time it is. But when I turn on the TV to get some Cartoons going so the banshees will simmer-down a bit, i click through and 
** 19-FREAKING-70s SOUL TRAIN IS ON TV ** 
on some obscure channel called "Bounce". 
Every. Single. Day. 
It's like seeing a Unicorn when you are falling into a pit of quicksand. 
The very second Don Cornelius' gorgeous mug hits the screen, ohhhhhh that voice... like silken velvet roughed up with the finest Cuban cigar smoke... the kids start yelling, 
"THAT'S NOT *CAT IN THE HAT*!! TURN CARTOONS ON!!! NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!! MOOOMMMMY!!"

 I die. Look at that fashion.
 I die. Look at the whole scene.
 I die. The collars are divine.
I die. Don's suit is the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

A person from my past, I'll call her "Lady A", her and I were a little bit obsessed with Don Cornelius, Soul Train, and also The New Dance Show (a Detroit version).
I just read something about how if you love nostalgia you are not happy with your life, because if you desire things of the past you must not be happy with the present. I thought that was thought-provoking, but kind of a blankety statement. I think there are so many wonderful things about every era, and I just happen to like to bring to light the ones of the past and appreciate the aesthetics of bygone eras. So if that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment