Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Auto Show Gala Project - Vintage? or Not?

OK, so I was gifted this WONDERFUL GIFT of Tickets to the AUTO SHOW GALA!!! Ever since I found out yesterday, I've been jumping up and down screaming, like when people get called up on "The Price Is Right". I can't stop squealing like a little girl. My neighbors are going to call 911. 

BUT, the tickets are not in my hot-little-hands yet. So I will try to quell my excitement until that day. For I know that, of all things, life is uncertain. So I will try to behave myself, and hope I store up enough Karma-Gold-Stars to make this happen. But will I SHOP FOR IT!?? OHHHHH YES. 

Who doesn't love to dress up? You just don't get enough opportunities these days. Weddings, yeah, I guess, parties... Kind of. I feel like the Gala is like **PRINCESS PROM** of which i went to 3 times in High School and mentally my mind is back there again, freaking out, wanting to try everything on with sequins and shine and bows and fairies and magical dust. 
So I went to the mall yesterday and thought let's just get a feel for the environment of formal wear these days. What's out there, what's new, how are things fitting, temperature, humidity, mm Hg to Torr.

**btw. NO MAKEUP IS WORN, HAIR IS NOT DONE. BRACE YOURSELVES.**

This cute little number at Neimies. I like the ruching and the halter neckline. it was comfortable. bleh, who wants that. hahhah. Color good, but not knocking it out of the park. I feel like it's a little bridesmaidy? The fitting room attendant was in love with me. If you ever want a fitting room boy to pull all colorful evening wear in your size, just tell him that his blazer is "SOOOO VALENTINO." = instant adoration.

 Navy. Boring. There is a lot of detail that you cannot see. It's like layers of pieced organza with a Can-Can Skirt that has a nice slit up to the thigh. I mean it's cute and pretty, but let's try something else. Oh yeah, and don't you love the YSL peep-toes? ohhhhhh yes.

Went to BCBG Max Azria since Neims was a total strike out. Look at that line up of gowns behind me. A dress-up party dream. I picked this one, obviously, because HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THAT BEFORE??? no. It's a fluid jersey too.
 and THAT'S THE BACK! whoa. It fit really well. Not super in love with the color. I almost wish it was a hot coral or something. Something that would POP against the skin. I sent a photo of this to a gentleman friend who said it is "too much". hahhah. That is clearly the case.
It kind of reminds me of the dress I wore in 1997 when I was on the homecoming court. (I couldn't find a pic) The cut-outs, fluidity, and shaping are very much of that era, and I lived through that, so I don't really want to repeat that look. Although part of me feels like I should "GO HARD, OR GO HOME", and it will definitely make an impact, it will catch the eye of everyone, it will be a showstopper. But the 90s connotations.... I don't know if I can do that.

Last for BCBG... The red Old Hollywood dress. The fit is great. It's a pieced red satin, fits like a glove. I really do love it. But the amish part of me thinks, "yikes! I fear a strapless! TOO MUCH SKIN!" hahha, really? after the last dress? I think I would pair this with a giant bib necklace for coverage. Like these below. Ahh, Liz, I love you. 

Sort of disappointed after that shopping foray, I decided to go to my fav Vintage store and see what they had to offer. I found 2 lovely 1970s dresses that for sure belonged to the same woman, same size, shape, aesthetic. Instantly the song "Afternoon Delight" was in my head (Freudian?) 
 This is so 70s. I mean that shiny poly jersey with the spaghetti straps placed just so, and the tiny blouson, this pic should be in a dictionary next to "American Mid 1970s Women's Wear". But FOR SURE not a candidate for the Gala.
This dress I looooooooooved. Fit perfectly. OMG the ruching, the little ties at the shoulders and the waist. The portrait neckline. It's PURPLE. I just want to dance the night away with John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever" in this, can't you just see it! I think I can do all those dances too. But you know, if you have a partner like John, you just follow that lead... ok, i'm getting off track...

So that was Round One of shopping. We'll see what we find in Round Two (of 1 Million).

No comments:

Post a Comment