Tuesday, April 30, 2013

100 HUGS FOR BOSTON - The Results


100 Hugs for Boston was a huge success. I gave all my love to this city, and it gave it right back. I originally planned on this being a photography project, capturing each hug on film. But then seeing how raw emotions were on-site, i decided firmly against.
We were very near the bombing site. On our first day we walked by simply because Copley Square was the place we needed to go to get things near where we were staying. Memorials were up; people had placed hundreds of bouquets, candles, messages, running shoes, shirts, messages of love, large signs to write your own messages of support on... Tons of stuff at both of the bombing sites. People in tears, hugging.... Things were very shocking and sad.


 Every other person there had a camera on, and not to sound snotty... But they were usually very large Nikons/Canons that the person had no idea how to use. They were snapping pictures of everything. Of the boarded up windows, blown out from the horrid attack... Of people gathering around, holding each other, still in disbelief for what had happened... Of it all, and I thought it was so *grotesque* of them. Like taking pictures of people mourning at a funeral. Seriously, What. The. Hell.


All the news crews were there too. CNN, Fox News, etc. I know they have a duty to report. 
I decided at that moment to work on just a *soul* level. I talked to people, I listened, I hugged, I cried. I wanted to add some positivity if I could, but I also only wanted to emit and reflect and not capture things for my own gain, at all. This was a giving project, 100%. 
I even printed stickers to give out in Boston, but decided when I was there to just keep them (even though I spent $40 on them, LOL) because handing them out would have been only doing so for my benefit and that is just against everything that I am for. 

 I love you Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment