Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Runway Chronicles - Learning to Walk LOL

So I showed up on Sunday for rehearsals for "Styles in the City" (click here)

I decided to look more like myself this time. No more "anonymous model" tank-top/skinny jeans/no makeup. My hair is big, my liquid liner is thick, and my vintage is 1970s. Also I wore my DIY Pink and Gold Striped heels (click here)!!
It was a very interesting environment. What they want is uniformity, and I can understand that. So they want to teach us a uniform walk.
I find that my natural runway walk is very reminiscent of the 1990s models...

The Cindy Crawfords... The Helena Christensens... Such as a walk like this (click here for video). I get my hips moving, my sashay on. My arms swing. I feel very confident and comfortable, my whole body is in motion. Maybe it's because that was what I grew up with and that is my comfort zone.

The world has changed: The aesthetic of the runway has changed. Girls like Vanessa Axente run the runway...
It's a vast difference, you can even tell by the body-type popular at each time. Well, anyways to get back to my point, the directors of our runway show are looking for a *2012* Runway Walk, NOT a *1991* Runway Walk.
A 2012 runway walk looks like this (click here for video). It's slow. It's stiff. It's very mannequin-ish. I can kind of understand, it really does show the garment rather than the personality of the model wearing it. But it is a little difficult for me to get used to.

So we had to line up and everyone one-by-one practicing walking in this stiff, slow, slightly melancholy way. It was hard for me not to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment