Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Peplum Challenge

So everyone's talking about the Peplum waist. I see it on every runway, i love how it looks on other people, so flattering, so i had to try it myself. I went to Neiman Marcus today to see what I could find...


First off, I found this gorgeous Marchesa gown. It has the Peplum waist, which i was afraid, at my extreme height would not be placed properly on the body for my stature. You obviously want the Peplum to flare out below the *smallest* part of  your waist, and since the waist of most commercial dresses usually falls to high for me, i thought this would not work. Because if the *end* of the peplum flare falls at the smallest point of your waist (which i was sure would happen with me) then it will make your waist look thicker and that is obviously not what you want.


I feel like the peplum on this gown is working for me. I think it hits just right. I love this photo, it's so funny to me at this angle i look so short, and if you know me, you know that is not true.


The only thing about this Marchesa dress is that the convex seaming for the hip/butt area fell about 4/6 inches to high for me. I would have to buy a size up and have it tailored.


This dress they did not have in my size, so i just tried it anyways. it's about 3 sizes too big, so i'm pinching it in the back, but I think this peplum is working perfectly, carving out the curve of the waist. This is a 100% silk Teri Jon gown. beautiful!


This dress is Laundry by Shelli Segal. I do not like a strapless, but it was the only other dress i found with a peplum (seriously shocking! sold out?). I think for me, this peplum is about an inch or two too high. It looks like it's just thickening my waist instead of defining it.

So the verdict is: Peplums are great and they are gorgeous when placed properly. I would probably have to buy a dress with one and *DEF* have it tailored for my body. And by the time i had all that done, the trend will be over. :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment