Friday, December 6, 2013

I LOVE AMERICAN HUSTLE! Yay 1970s Fashion!


OH BY GOLLY i am excited to see this movie.

But only for one reason, because I love 1970s fashion.

I love a good thick polyester, I love ridiculous- not from nature colors, and I love giant collars and deep V necklines. It's so good. There's something very feminine, yet very powerful about the look of this era. and EVERY SINGLE TIME I find a piece from this era while vintage shopping, if there's any semblance of it fitting.... it's going home with me.

Even the men's fashion in this movie is remarkable. Bradley Cooper has a freaking PERM. I love it. The tie is fantastic. This menswear look says, "Look at me. I'M in charge. I RUN EVERYTHING."

I just read that the costume designer Michael Wilkinson used quite a lot of vintage Gucci, Halston & DVF, but also created a lot of the costumes for the movie so that it would look fresh and of the moment. Which I think is really smart.

 The menswear was 99% vintage, because as we know, these fabrics never show wear. That suit poly... I have pants like that, and they look as bright and clean and creased as the day they were purchased by some guy in 1975.

Bradley Cooper in these perm rollers is killing me. I love that he did this. I remember getting a "spiral perm" in the early 90s and getting those rods rolled in hurst like a bitch. Way to take one for the team, Brad.

The first outfit that really caught my eye when I started seeing photos from the film was this chocolate leather piece on Amy Adams. Oh jesus, I would literally tackle someone for this.
I don't know if I would have the guts to wear it sans shirt, but I love the look. So chic.

Another FREAKING FANTASTIC dress is this Amy Adams sparkly confection.
 This was one of the pieces that Michael Wilkinson created for the movie. It's perfect, the fit is just made for her. I love it.

Amy's macrame bathing suit is so amazing. I wish I could have it. I don't know if this is actual vintage or not, but who cares, it's fabulous.

This teal garment looks great on her, but I hope it's a pantsuit because it's not really as interesting as some of the other costumes. I do like the gold chain draped in the front. Honestly I don't think Amy has ever looked better. If I were her, I'd adopt this aesthetic as my own FOREVER AND EVER.

Jeremy Renner's hair is a thing of beauty. I mean is his hair honestly that amazingly luscious? It's like the love-child of Ron Swanson & Ron Burgundy.

For some reason I am LOVING Christian Bale's look in this movie. I love the belly. I love the hair. I love the glasses.

I mean, sure I loved the way Christian looked in "American Psycho", one of my all time fav movies.

But I prefer this. It's more of a swarthy, devil may care, take me or leave me look. I guess I just revealed what I find attractive in a man. ha!

Jennifer Lawrence, I love you, you're a beauty. But other than this ensemble...

I thought most of her outfits and hair for this movie were snoozy. The white clingy dress on the movie poster just looks like something I would have purchased at DEB or Contempo Casuals in the 90s.

American Hustle comes out DECEMBER 13th!! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment